The Social Security Administration has released the schedule of payment dates for 2022.
>> Read more trending news
With a few exceptions, Social Security payments are sent based on a person’s birthday.
In general, payments are sent this way:
· If your birthday falls on the 1st to the 10th of the month, you will be paid on the second Wednesday of the month;
· If you were born on the 11th to the 20th of the month, you will be paid on the third Wednesday of the month; and
· If you were born after the 20th of the month, you will be paid on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
The Social Security Administration released this calendar to help those who receive the payments keep track of the date when they should receive a direct deposit from the government.
In January, Social Security checks, along with SSI (Supplemental Security Income) payments, will include a 6.2% increase in benefits over 2021 payments, the largest increase in the cost of living in nearly 40 years.
SSI benefits are paid to people with limited income or limited resources or who are disabled, blind, or 65 years of age or older.
There are some exceptions to the birthday rule.
Payments are sent on the 3rd of every month if:
· You applied for a benefit before 1 May 1997;
Or if you receive Social Security and an SSI payment;
· Your Medicare premiums are paid by the state where you live; or
· You live abroad.
Those who receive SSI payments (and also don’t receive a Social Security check) will receive those payments on the 1st of each month.
©2020 Cox Media Group