A medical journal has published evidence of the first suspected case of human-to-pet transmission of monkeypox virus.
A dog living with two men in France who had been infected with the virus started showing symptoms 12 days after they did, according to The Lancet. The 4-year-old male Italian Greyhound, who had no previous medical conditions, tested positive after showing symptoms such as lesions and pustules on his abdomen.
Through DNA testing, researchers determined that the viruses infecting the two men and the dog were both monkey pox.
Since they became symptomatic, the two men had kept their dog away from other people and other pets, but had slept with the animal in their bed.
“Our findings should spark a debate about the need to isolate pets from individuals who are positive for monkeypox virus,” the report reads.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have warned in their monkeypox guidelines about possible human-to-pet transmission.
“Infected animals can spread Monkeypox virus to humans, and it is possible that infected humans can spread Monkeypox virus through close contact to animals,” the advisory reads.
Those who are infected are advised to avoid activities with their pets, such as petting, cuddling, cuddling, kissing, licking, sleeping quarters and sharing food.
While the full symptoms of monkey pox in pets are unknown, keep an eye out for “possible signs of illness, including lethargy, loss of appetite, cough, nasal discharge or scab, bloating, fever, and/or pimple or blister-like skin rash,” the CDC warns.