HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) – The Connecticut Department of Public Health released new guidance for COVID-19 policies Friday afternoon.
The new guidance will be released ahead of the nationwide school mask mandate, which ends at the end of the month.
DPH asked questions that school districts should consider when deciding whether to keep masks or make them optional:
1. What do the available data on the community and the district’s distribution and transmission of COVID-19 indicate?
2. What is the risk tolerance for the possibility of increasing the number of cases and necessary quarantine and isolation among your students and staff?
3. What is the current COVID-19 vaccination status for students and staff at individual schools and across the district, and what is the current COVID-19 vaccine coverage for the surrounding community?
What further planning is needed to meet the needs of students and staff who may be at greater risk of unwanted health outcomes?
5. What additional guidance is needed to ensure support for students and staff who may wish to continue wearing the mask?
6. What processes need to be in place for ongoing risk assessment and rapid decision-making regarding COVID-19 policies and mitigation strategies (including mask use) going forward?
7. What advanced contingency planning must be done to prepare for potential increases and / or outbreaks?
Stay tuned to Eyewitness News for updates.
Copyright 2022 WFSB (gray). All rights reserved.