We continue to make it easier for you to access our programs and benefits. Our website offers a convenient way to apply for benefits online.
You can apply online for:
• Retirement or partner benefits – You must be at least 61 years 9 months old and want your benefits to start in no more than four months. Apply at www.ssa.gov/retireonline.
• Disability Benefits – You can use our online application, available at www.ssa.gov/disabilityonline, to claim disability benefits if you:
o be 18 years or older;
o Does not currently receive a benefit on your own BSN;
o are incapacitated for work due to a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death; and
o No disability benefits have been denied in the past 60 days. If your application was recently rejected, our online appeals process is a starting point for requesting a review of the decision we have made. Visit www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/appeal.html.
• Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – SSI is a federal income program funded by general tax revenue that helps people who have little or no income and who are 65 years of age or older, are blind or have disabilities. If you meet certain requirements, you can apply online at www.ssa.gov/benefits/ssi. If you cannot apply online, call your local Social Security office to apply.
• Medicare – Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older, some people under age 65 with disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease. If you are not yet receiving Social Security benefits, you must apply for Medicare three months before you turn 65 at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare.
• Additional help with Medicare costs for prescription drugs – People who need help with drug costs can request additional help at www.ssa.gov/i1020.