Florida man dies eating bad oyster at Rustic Inn Crabhouse

A Florida man died after contracting a bacterial infection from a “one in a billion” bad oyster, according to a report.

The death was traced back to the Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, where the man ate before falling ill with Vibrio, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Oysters served on a plate in restaurant
Oysters with bacteria don’t look or taste any different, the CDC says.
Getty Images

The restaurant’s manager told the outlet that as many as 100 dozen oysters were served the day the man ate there.

The rustic inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale.
The rustic inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale.

“He had the one in a billion that was bad,” Gary Oreal reportedly said. “I feel terrible.”

“Oysters are the top of the mountain to eat dangerous foods. I have eaten them all my life, and will continue. But you’re putting yourself at risk if you do it,” Oreal added.

He told the paper that the Florida Department of Health inspected the restaurant’s kitchen and it passed “with flying colors” after the man fell ill.

“Over the course of 60 years, we’ve served several billion oysters, and no one has ever been sick like this man,” Oreal said.

The unidentified man, who reportedly worked at the restaurant decades ago, was the second person in the state to die from raw oysters this month. The Pensacola News Journal reported that a community leader died August 9 from Vibrio.

Rodney Jackson, Director of Business Engagement at Studer Community Institute, fell ill after eating at Maria’s Fresh Seafood Market, the paper reported.

Both cases involved Louisiana oysters.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warn on their website that while most Vibriosis cases occur in warmer weather, cases have been reported year-round.

Rodney Jackson is one of two people to die from oysters in August.
Rodney Jackson is one of two people to die from oysters in Florida in August.
Student Community Institute

“An oyster that contains harmful bacteria doesn’t look, smell, or even taste any different than any other oyster,” the CDC says.

Most infections only result in diarrhea and vomiting, according to the agency.

With Post wires

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.