The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) today sadly confirms the first three pediatric deaths from the Omicron rise. A total of 21 children under the age of 18 have died from COVID-19 since the start of the Louisiana pandemic.
Two of the children were under 5 years old. The third child was between 5 and 17 years old. The deaths occurred in the past week. There were 9 pediatric deaths during the Delta climb.
“Every life lost is a tragedy. The fact that we have lost 21 children in our state to COVID-19, many of whom are not yet eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, is unbearable,” said State Health Officer Dr. Joseph Kanter. “Our young children who are not eligible to receive the vaccine trust us to protect them. While cases are declining from our Omicron rise, the risk is not zero. Families should carefully assess their risk and risk tolerance, especially during Shrove Tuesday season. Being fully vaccinated and boosted, if justified, wearing a high-quality and well-fitting mask and avoiding crowds and indoor, dewormed public spaces can increase a family’s protection and reduce their risk. “
Data show that vaccines and boosters provide the best protection against hospitalizations and deaths. No one plays a more important role than protecting your child from COVID-19 than you.
LDH COVID-19 Vaccine Guide
- The CDC and LDH recommend that everyone aged 5 and over be vaccinated and that everyone aged 12 and over be boosted when eligible.
- Vaccinations and boosters are our greatest opportunity to stop the spread of COVID-19 and ensure safe, personal learning for Louisiana children.
- COVID-19 vaccines are widely available in more than 1,000 locations in all of Louisiana’s 64 parishes, including pharmacies, hospitals, health clinics, and physicians’ offices.
- For a list of places near you, visit ldh.la.gov/covidvaccine or text your postal code to GETVAX (438829) in English or VACUNA (822862) in Spanish.
- You can find the test site’s locations and opening hours at ldh.la.gov/covidtesting or you can call 211 to find a place near you.