The NFL’s COVID-19 test results for the period October 17 – October 30 are as follows:
- 19,093 tests were conducted on a total of 6,532 players and team personnel; 2,442 players and 4,090 employees.
- There were 11 new confirmed positives among players and 24 new confirmed positives among staff. The overall incidence is 0.5% for this test period.
Unvaccinated individuals should test daily. Vaccinated individuals are tested once a week and can volunteer for additional testing. Anyone identified as a high-risk contact due to exposure will be tested daily, as appropriate. Early symptom reporting and testing for both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals is key to keeping our clubs and communities safe this season.
Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 will be immediately isolated, will not be allowed access to club facilities or have direct contact with players or staff. The club’s medical staff is in regular contact with individuals who test positive to monitor symptoms.
- Unvaccinated individuals must isolate outside the club facility for 10 days.
- Vaccinated individuals who are asymptomatic may be returned to the facility once they have undergone two consecutive negative laboratory PCR tests, taken at least 24 hours apart. Vaccinated individuals who are symptomatic should also return two negative tests taken at least 24 hours apart and be asymptomatic for 48 hours. If vaccinated individuals do not return two consecutive negative tests, they may return after 10 days.
When there are positive cases within the club environment, the Enhanced Mitigation Protocol (EMP) can be used at the discretion of medical experts, similar to the successful approach of the 2020 season. EMP is a targeted tool and includes additional measures such as: daily testing for all players and staff, required masking, distancing themselves from meals and meetings, moving meetings to well-ventilated areas or making all meetings virtual.
The NFL’s COVID-19 vaccination rates as of November 9 are as follows:
- 94.4% of NFL players are vaccinated; nearly 100% of NFL personnel are vaccinated.
- With such a highly vaccinated population, the NFL environment is not comparable to anywhere else in society. We will continue to work with the NFLPA with the goal of getting 100% of players vaccinated.
- 30 of the league’s 32 clubs have an overall vaccination rate of 95% or higher.
Given the prevalence of the COVID-19 infection in communities, positive cases are expected among vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals throughout the 2021 season. As circumstances change, NFL-NFLPA protocols are also changing to prevent as many cases of COVID-19 as possible and ensure the health of players, coaches and staff.
Total COVID-19 test results for the monitoring test period to date, August 1 – October 30:
- During routine surveillance tests from August 1 to October 30, 94 players and 185 staff members were confirmed positive.
- During the period from August 1 to October 30, approximately 113,000 tests were conducted on more than 8,200 players and staff.