Ohio schools report the fewest weekly COVID-19 cases during the school year
Ohio schools report the fewest weekly COVID-19 cases during the school year

Ohio schools report the fewest weekly COVID-19 cases during the school year

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – New coronavirus cases reported by Ohio schools fell for the fourth week in a row Thursday as K-12 schools recorded their lowest week of cases since teaching began last fall.

Schools reported 3,460 new cases to Ohio Department of Health Thursday of the week ending Sunday, February 13th. That’s the least since NBC4 started tracking in mid-September last year.

Schools report cases among students and staff to ODH on Tuesday, reflecting the week that ended the previous Sunday. ODH publishes issues on Thursdays at 14.00

Case criteria

  • Full-time or part-time students and employees who have tested positive for or have been diagnosed with COVID-19. Infections were caught inside and outside the school.
  • Staff include teachers, administrators, coaches, and support staff.
  • Excludes students / staff who are completely remote but include them if they were “on the spot” while contagious.
  • ODH reports “new” and “cumulative” cases. Cases are only transferred to “cumulative” when the person is no longer COVID-positive. NBC4’s weekly list of new cases reflects the change in “cumulative” cases. More info

    As is the case in Ohio in general, school infections have dropped dramatically since the omicron variant wave peaked in early January. In the past month, new school cases have dropped 88% from pandemic height 27,774.

    The total school year is on 239,934 cases among students and staff. Infections were caught inside and outside the school.

    1,609 (58%) of the 2,769 schools, districts, private schools, vocational schools, kindergartens and other non-high school institutions tracked by ODH have reported a case this school year. It’s a school more than last week.

    The median number of cases among schools with at least one infection is 43 cases, while the median number of school districts is 202 cases.

    197,578 (82%) of Ohio’s school cases are students and 42,356 (18%) are employees, which includes teachers, administrators, coaches and support staff. Last school year, students were about 2 out of 3 cases and staff were 1 out of 3.

    Cincinnati Public Schools, a district with more than 34,000 students, leads the state with 5,509 cases ahead of Dublin City Schools with 3,795. Dublin is among five central Ohio districts in the top 10.

    All but one Ohio public school district is back to full personal learning, according to data last week, which was tracked by Ohio Department of Education. A district is in a hybrid model.

    A majority of elementary school students, 53.3% according to ODE, teach where masks are optional for all students. The other 46.7% of students go to school, where masks are required for all or some students.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.