Nov. 10 (Reuters) – Political leaders in Ontario, Canada have shelved a plan to lift restrictions on the number of people who can gather in restaurants, bars and other settings, saying a cautious approach was needed with an increase in COVID-19 infections.
Ontario government officials had set November 15 as the date they would lift capacity limits in so-called “risky environments,” including nightclubs, dance halls and strip clubs.
The officials said a recent increase in the number of reported COVID-19 infections had been noted with the onset of winter, although the province has some of the lowest numbers of cases in Canada.
“To protect our hard-won progress and ensure that we can continue to manage COVID-19 in the long term, more time is needed before we can take the next step forward in our reopening plan,” government officials said in a written statement.
The government and county chief physician would monitor case records for the next 28 days to determine when the capacity limits could be lifted, the statement said.
According to a Ontario Ministry of Health daily, the province had confirmed 454 cases of COVID-19 as of Nov. 9, a 0.1 percent increase from the previous day.
Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; edit by Diane Craft
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.