(The Hill) – Reportedly, Pfizer and BioNTech will seek approval for booster shots of their COVID-19 vaccine for 16- and 17-year-olds. People familiar with the company’s plans told The Washington Post that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is expected to quickly approve the company’s request regarding the additional shots.
Currently, Americans 18 and older are eligible for booster shots six months after their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two months after the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
The possible extension of booster eligibility relates to the new ommicron variant attachment.
On Monday, President Biden said omicron is “a cause for concern, not a cause for panic,” and that lockdowns to address it are not necessary.
“Thursday I will present a detailed strategy outlining how we are going to fight COVID this winter, not with shutdowns or lockdowns, but with more widespread vaccinations, boosters, testing and more,” Biden said.
Last week in a statement, Biden praised the variant booster shots and encouraged those who qualify to get their extra doses.
“First, for those Americans who have been fully vaccinated against severe COVID disease — fortunately for the vast majority of our adults — the best way to bolster your protection is to get a booster shot, once you qualify,” he said on Friday.
No cases of ommicron have yet been confirmed in the US, although experts believe it will be inevitable.
The Hill has contacted Pfizer for comment.