LONDON (AP) – Queen Elizabeth II canceled scheduled online engagements on Tuesday because she is still experiencing mild cold-like symptoms after testing positive for COVID-19, Buckingham Palace said.
The 95-year-old monarch “has decided not to take on his planned virtual engagements today, but will continue with light duties,” a spokesman for the palace said.
Officials confirmed Sunday that the queen was tested positive for COVID-19. The diagnosis gave rise to concern and well-being from across Britain’s political spectrum for the Queen, the country’s longest reigning monarch.
The palace said on Sunday that Elizabeth, who has been fully vaccinated and given a booster shot, would continue with “light” tasks at Windsor Castle in the coming week.
The queen reached the 70-year milestone on the throne on February 6, the anniversary of the death of her father, King George VI, in 1952. She turns 96 on April 21.
Both the Queen’s eldest son, Prince Charles, 73, and her 74-year-old daughter-in-law, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, received COVID-19 earlier this month. Charles has since returned to work. It is also believed that there have been several recent virus cases among the staff at Windsor Castle, where the Queen is staying.
Elizabeth spent a night in a London hospital for unspecified tests in October and had until recently been under doctors’ orders to rest and only take on lighter tasks.
She canceled various major engagements late last year, but returned this month to public office and has held audiences both virtually and personally with diplomats, politicians and senior military officers.
Queen Elizabeth II is the first British monarch to celebrate a platinum anniversary, marking 70 years on the throne. (CNN)
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.