Social Security: Get Your Social Security Statement | Lifestyles
Social Security: Get Your Social Security Statement |  Lifestyles

Social Security: Get Your Social Security Statement | Lifestyles

We have made it even easier to get your annual benefit statement. The benefit statement, also known as SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, is a tax form that we send out each year in January to individuals who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from us in the previous year. You can use this information when submitting your tax return as it shows how much social security income needs to be reported to the Internal Revenue Service.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, go online to get your immediate, printable replacement form using your personal My Social Security account at Look for your replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for the previous tax year in your personal account after February 1st.

If you do not have access to a printer, you can save the document to your computer or email it to yourself. If you do not have a my Social Security account, setting one up is very easy and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

And that’s not all you can do with a personal account. If you are receiving benefits or have Medicare, your personal My Social Security account is also the best way to:

People also read …

• Request a replacement number card (in most states and the District of Columbia).

• Receive your letter confirming benefits.

• Check your performance and payment information.

• Change your address and telephone number.

• Change your direct deposit information.

• Request a replacement card for Medicare.

• Report your salary if you work and receive social security disability insurance or supplementary insurance income benefits.

If you are a non-US citizen and you received or reimbursed Social Security benefits last year, we will send you the SSA-1042S form by mail. Forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available to persons receiving Supplementary Security Income Services.

If you do not have a personal My Social Security account, you can create one today at

Q: I did not sign up for Medicare Part B when my Part A started a few years ago. Can I sign up now?

ONE: It depends on. The general enrollment period for Medicare Part B, health insurance, begins on January 1st and runs through March 31st. Keep in mind that even if there is no monthly premium for Medicare Part A, there will be a premium for your Medicare Part B. In most cases, that premium increases for each 12-month period you were eligible for and chose not to sign up. If you are covered by a group health scheme based on your employment or the employment of a spouse, you may be eligible for a special enrollment. Special registrations can be processed at any time during the year, but require proof of coverage. To find out more about Medicare, visit or

Q: I’m applying for additional help with the cost of Medicare prescription drugs. Can government agencies help with my Medicare costs?

ONE: When you submit your application for Additional Help with Medicare Prescription Costs, you can begin your Medicare Savings Programs application process – list programs that provide assistance with other Medicare costs. When you apply for additional assistance, Social Security sends information to your state unless you tell us not to do so in the application. Your state will contact you to help you apply for a Medicare Savings Program. Learn more by visiting

This column has been prepared by the Social Security Administration. For quick answers to specific social security questions, contact Social Security toll free at 800-772-1213 or visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.