Social Security: Payments Can Arrive Early Too | lifestyles – Community News
Social Security

Social Security: Payments Can Arrive Early Too | lifestyles

Ileana Saveley Decatur Social Security District Manager

Question: I usually receive my benefit on the third of the month. But what if the third falls on a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday? Is my payment late?

Answer: Just the opposite. Your payment should arrive earlier. For example, if you usually receive your payment on the third of a month, but it falls on a Saturday, we will make the payments on the Friday prior to the due date. More information on the 2021 payment schedule can be found at Every time you don’t receive a payment, you must wait three days before calling to report the missing person. To make sure that your benefits end up in the right place, create a My Social Security account. There you can check and manage your benefits without visiting your local office. Go to to create your account.

Q: I have not received my social security statement in the mail for the past few years. Will I ever get another one?

AN: We currently send Social Security Statements to employees 60 and older who are not receiving Social Security benefits and do not yet have a my Social Security account. We will email the Statements three months before your birthday. Rather than waiting to receive a statement in the mail, we encourage people to open a my Social Security account at so that they can access their statement online at any time.

Q: How are my pension benefits calculated?

AN: Your Social Security benefits are based on the average over your life. Your actual earnings are first adjusted or “indexed” to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received. Then we calculate your average indexed monthly income over the 35 years that you earned the most. We apply a formula to this income and arrive at your basic benefit. This is the amount you would receive at full retirement age. You may be able to estimate your benefit using our Pension Estimator, which provides estimates based on your Social Security income. You can find the Pension Estimator at

Q: How long does it take to complete the online application for retirement benefits?

AN: Filling out the online application can only take 15 minutes. In most cases, you’re done once your application has been submitted electronically. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if more information is needed. You don’t have to drive to a local Social Security office or wait for an appointment with a Social Security representative. To retire online, visit

Q: If I go back to work, will I automatically lose my WAO benefit?

AN: No, Social Security has several job incentive programs to help people who want to work. You may be able to receive monthly benefits and continue your health insurance during a trial period. For information about Social Security’s work incentives and how they can help you get back to work, do one of the following:

• Visit our dedicated work site at

• See the Red Book on work incentives at

• Check out our publications at and type ‘work’ in the search box.

For more information, visit or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

Q: How does Social Security decide if I am disabled?

AN: In order for an adult to be considered disabled, Social Security must determine that you are unable to do the work you previously did and that, based on your age, education and work experience, you are unable to adapt to others. work that exists to a considerable extent. figures in the national economy. Also, your disability must last at least a year or be expected to last or lead to death. Social Security only pays for total disability. In the event of partial incapacity for work or short-term incapacity for work (less than one year), no benefit is paid. For more information, read our publication, Disability Benefits, at

Q: My grandmother receives SSI (Supplemental Security Income) benefits. She may need to go to a nursing home to get the long-term care she needs. How will this affect its SSI benefits?

AN: Moving into a nursing home can affect your grandmother’s SSI benefits, depending on the type of facility. In many cases, we have to reduce or discontinue SSI payments to nursing home residents, including when Medicaid covers the cost of nursing home care. When your grandmother enters or leaves a nursing home, residential care facility, hospital, skilled nursing facility, or other facility, you must notify Social Security immediately. Learn more about SSI reporting responsibilities at Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to report a change.

Q: What is the difference between Social Security disability and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability?

AN: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is based on past earnings. SSDI is funded through the taxes you pay to the Social Security program. To qualify for SSDI benefits, the employee must earn enough credits from taxable work to be “insured” for Social Security purposes. SSDI benefits are paid to eligible blind or disabled employees, the widow(s) of a disabled employee, or adults who have been disabled since childhood.

SSI disability benefits are made based on financial needs for adults or children who are disabled or blind, have limited income and resources, meet living requirements, and are otherwise eligible. SSI is a program funded from general revenue. For more information, visit

Q: If I retire at age 62, will I be eligible for Medicare?

AN: New. Medicare starts when you turn 65. If you retire at age 62, you may be able to continue medical insurance through your employer or purchase it from a private insurance company until you qualify for Medicare. For more information, read Medicare at, or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

Q: Is it true that if you are on a low income you can get help paying your Medicare premiums?

AN: Yes. If your income and resources are limited, your state may be able to help with your Medicare Part B premium, deductibles, and coinsurance amounts. State rules vary on income and resources that apply. Contact your state or local medical aid, social services, or welfare agency, or call the Medicare hotline, 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), and ask about Medicare savings programs. If you have limited income and resources, you may also be able to get help paying for prescription drug coverage under Medicare Part D. Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or call a Social Security Office. See also our publication, Medicare, at For even more information, visit

About the author


Add Comment

Click here to post a comment