Social Security: Take Control of Social Security Online | Lifestyles
Social Security: Take Control of Social Security Online |  Lifestyles

Social Security: Take Control of Social Security Online | Lifestyles

We continue to add more services that you can access through your secure my Social Security account. Use your personal My Social Security account to check your Social Security registration and complete your business conveniently and securely from home or on the go.

If you are not currently receiving benefits, you can:

• Request a replacement card.

• Review your earnings history for accuracy.

• Review your future social benefits to help you plan when to start receiving benefits.

• Compare benefit amounts according to the age at which you start receiving benefits.

• Check the status of your application for social security.

If you are already receiving benefits, you can:

• Receive a benefit confirmation or proof of income.

• Request a Social Security or Medicare replacement card.

Q: How can I protect myself from identity theft?

ONE: First, do not carry your CPR card with you. Keep it safe at home with your other important papers. Second, do not immediately disclose your CPR number. While many banks, schools, doctors, landlords and others will ask for your number, it is your decision to give it. Ask if there is another way to identify you in their records.

If you are a victim of identity theft, report it right away. To report identity theft, fraud or misuse of your CPR number, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recommends that you:

• Place a fraud alert on your credit file by contacting one of the following companies (the company you are contacting should contact the other two, who will then place alerts on your reports).

o Equifax, 1-800-525-6285.

o Trans Union, 1-800-680-7289.

o Experian, 1-888-397-3742.

Review your credit statement for inquiries from companies you have not contacted, accounts you have not opened, and debts on your accounts that you cannot explain.

• Close all accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with or fraudulently opened.

• Report a complaint to your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.

• File a complaint with the FTC at 1-877-438-4338 (TTY 1-866-653-4261).

Q: I own a small business. How can I verify employees’ CPR numbers?

ONE: Employers can use our CPR service to verify the names and CPR numbers of current and former employees for payroll purposes. For more information, go to

Set up or change direct deposit.

• Get a Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) replacement form.

• Deselect certain messages by mail.

Your personal My Social Security account includes a secure messaging center where you can receive communications from us. For example, you might see your annual cost of living adjustments before you would normally receive them in the mail. You can also opt out of receiving messages by mail that are available online.

We have designed these online features to save you time. Create your personal my Social Security account today at

We offer many other online resources at Let friends and family know they can access them from the comfort of their home or office, and on the go from their cell phones.

This column has been prepared by the Social Security Administration. For quick answers to specific social security questions, contact Social Security toll free at 800-772-1213 or visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.