Some UH staff are facing possible unpaid leave from Friday due to the COVID-19 vaccine mandate; the number who have lost jobs so far at other hospitals in Greater Cleveland
Some UH staff are facing possible unpaid leave from Friday due to the COVID-19 vaccine mandate;  the number who have lost jobs so far at other hospitals in Greater Cleveland

Some UH staff are facing possible unpaid leave from Friday due to the COVID-19 vaccine mandate; the number who have lost jobs so far at other hospitals in Greater Cleveland

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Fears that federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates for health care workers would cause a large number of nursing staff to stop or be fired – making staff shortages worse – have not happened

So far, only a small number of Greater Cleveland hospital workers have lost their jobs because they refused to comply with Biden Administrations COVID-19 vaccine mandate for most U.S. health workers.

And three major hospitals are close to 100% compliance with the mandate.

At university hospitals, workers who do not comply with the vaccine mandate will be put on unpaid leave no later than Friday, the hospital system states in a statement.

UH did not state how many employees were at risk of being put on unpaid leave.

“We appreciate all of our caregivers who have worked with dedication and compassion throughout the pandemic in the care and service of our patients, and remain hopeful that more will choose to abide by the mandate,” UH said in a statement.

Seven SummaHealth employees did not comply with the policy and were laid off, the health system said.

Three MetroHealth employees were disciplined for not obtaining vaccination before the October deadline; no one has yet been completed, the health system said.

About 25 MetroHealth employees are quitting due to the vaccination requirement.

Fewer than 180 employees at the Cleveland Clinic among the more than 60,000 across the US healthcare system facilities no longer employed because they chose not to comply with the federal COVID-19 vaccine mandate, the clinic said. The clinic did not say how many employees in the Cleveland area were released.

“These employees are welcome to re-apply for positions with us if they comply with the mandate,” the clinic said in a statement. “We are proud that the majority of our carers chose to adhere to the COVID-19 vaccine mandate.”

In January, the U.S. Supreme Court supported the Biden administration COVID-19 vaccine mandate for most U.S. health workers. The federal mandate covered virtually all healthcare professionals in the country and applies to healthcare systems that receive federal Medicare or Medicaid funding. The rule has medical and religious exceptions for workers.

Prior to the Supreme Court ruling, the area’s hospitals such as the MetroHealth System, SummaHealth, Akron Children’s and Louis Stokes VA Medical Center had previously announced policies requiring vaccines for employees. The clinic and UH had not cited concerns about losing workers who may not comply, in the midst of pre-existing staff shortages.

Most employees are vaccinated at area hospitals

Most staff at local medical centers have complied with the federal vaccine mandate, either by being immunized or given a approved dispensation.

SummaHealth is at 100% compliance. About 94% of its more than 7,400 employees are vaccinated. The remaining 6% received either a medical exemption or religious accommodation, the health system said.

At the Cleveland Clinic, more than 99% of the more than 65,000 U.S. Clinic employees were vaccinated or dispensed.

Almost all MetroHealth employees – 97% – are fully vaccinated.

UH has not stated what percentage of its employees have been vaccinated or have been granted a dispensation.

Shortly afterwards, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the Biden administration’s COVID-19 vaccine mandateThe clinic announced that employees who were unvaccinated for COVID-19 and did not have an approved dispensation would not be allowed to stay on the job after February 28th.

It was one of the last major hospital systems, vizn Northern Ohio to introduce a policy that requires workers to be vaccinated.

At the time, UH said it was reviewing the verdict and did not announce a deadline for workers to be vaccinated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.