The person responsible for putting PT on the Sony storefront – and also having to take it off again – spoke about the situation for the first time.
Pearl Lai, Konami’s first-party lead at the time, took to Twitter to talk candidly — and diplomatically — about the time the free-to-play Silent Hills teaser was controversial eight years ago (August 12) from the Sony store. was obtained).
“Fun fact: Since I was the first-party lead at Konami at the time, I helped set this product up on storefronts, fake publishers and all,” they tweeted (thanks, VGC).
“And I was the one who had to call Sony and ask them to remove it and block redownloads. That was a super fun conversation.”
When asked if it was an “awkward” u-turn, Lai . said added: “Awkward is true! We had already gone through a lot to set it up, got a lot of operational exceptions. And then to add the request to block redownloading? More technical fixes. It was exciting to see people about it hype and see that the work pays off! But in a way it doesn’t.”
A commentator who works at Sony added: “I remember these times. Pearl always stayed up late to work on these projects. I also remember how stunned we were at how it was resolved on a day when Kojima was expecting months.”
Lai also spoke sympathetically about the effect the removal had on Sony and Konami customer service agents, who she said “already had a rough time as it was”.
Eight years later, interest in PT and Silent Hills is as strong as ever. Bloober, the developer behind the Blair Witch games and The Medium, struck a deal with Silent Hill publisher Konami last year. Since then, rumors have circulated that it is working on a new Silent Hill game, and even alleged concept art has leaked from an alleged Silent Hill game that may be set in Britain.
Numskull recently unveiled a new line of Silent Hill collectibles, starting with the Bubble Head Nurse and looking suspiciously like Silent Hill 3’s Heather…