TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – North Mississippi Medical Center shuts down its COVID-19 unit, spokeswoman Deborah Pugh confirmed Friday afternoon.
The hospital opened the unit in March 2020, when the pandemic first hit.
Currently, it sees few COVID patients and many are in the process of being discharged.
So instead of having a designated COVID unit, patients will be in a part of the hospital where they can get more specialized care for their COVID-related illness.
Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jeremy Blanchard said the highest number of COVID patients they’ve ever had at any time on the device since then is 118.
“We have vacuum rooms in all of these units, so we do not increase the risks to anyone or the exposure of anyone. We are able to provide the same safe care to COVID. What we really want to do is provide the best care for also other diseases. “
The visitation rules for COVID patients remain the same.
“This allows us to be safest for the patient and provide the best care-safest for the staff and ensure that they are in an environment that is supportive.”
He said they will reopen the COVID device if another variant comes along that causes an increase.