Vaccinated accounted for only 2% of COVID-19-related deaths in Garrett County – Communications Office
Vaccinated accounted for only 2% of COVID-19-related deaths in Garrett County – Communications Office

Vaccinated accounted for only 2% of COVID-19-related deaths in Garrett County – Communications Office

By Diane Lee, Garrett County Health Department

According to national data, most deaths have been attributed to COVID-19 and its complications have been among unvaccinated individuals.


Local data show that between June 2021 and February 2022, approximately 2% of COVID-19 deaths were attributed to Garrett County residents who were fully vaccinated. In this case, age and chronic medical conditions played a role in this outcome. Approximately 98% of the deaths during that period occurred in unvaccinated or partially vaccinated individuals. Chronic medical conditions and lack of vaccine-induced immunity played a role in these deaths.


“People who are elderly and who also have other medical conditions have an increased risk of COVID-19 infection,” said Garrett County Health Officer Bob Stephens. “While COVID-19 vaccination is not 100% protective against death in everyone, it offers very high levels of protection, especially against death, in the vast majority of us. These local data show the protective effects of the vaccine on Garrett County residents. “


Garrett County has now lost 111 people to COVID-19 and its complications.


“Since only about 55% of Garrett County residents aged 12 and older are fully vaccinated, it leaves about 45% of our citizens at a higher risk of becoming infected with the virus,” Stephens said. “Some of these are at higher risk for serious illness, including death.”


“We’ve lost enough people to COVID-19,” Stephens added. “Please be fully vaccinated, including boosters when it comes, to protect yourself and your loved ones.”


Vaccination clinics for all eligible age groups are held weekly on Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Garrett County Health Department at 1025 Memorial Drive in Oakland. On Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Hershberger Lane 28, Grantsville. Appointments can be made at garretthealth.org.


Testing and isolation, if you receive a positive test result, is another way to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
This will be the final week of free COVID-19 drive-through testing at Garrett County Fairgrounds in McHenry. Dates include Thursday, February 17 from 6 p.m. 16-19 and Saturday 19 February from kl. 13-17


Testing will be performed on a first-come, first-served basis. No agreements are planned. Tests are fast antigen tests and the results will be available the same day.


Tests are also available at Garrett County Health Department, 1025 Memorial Drive in Oakland Mon. through Fri. between 8:30 and 16:00 To schedule an appointment visit garretthealth.org or call 301-334-7698.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.