What should I do if I lose my social security card?
What should I do if I lose my social security card?

What should I do if I lose my social security card?

ONE Social Security number is an important piece of identification that is often required to find a job, collect benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA) and to sign up for various government programs and services.

In most cases it is enough to know your number, but most will also have received one Social security card with their name and CPR number on. If you lose yours Map and if the request wants a replacement, then you can do so, but the exact process varies in some states.

What to do if you lose your Social Security card

A new system introduced by SSA allows users to request a new social security card using a free online portal. Most states have taken advantage of the system and allow residents to claim a new card online, but six states still have not. The online system is available to those who simply request a new card and do not need to change any details in your account.

To use the online system you must be:

– A U.S. citizen 18 years of age or older

– Can be contacted with a US postal address

– Possess a driving license or ID card from a participating state

To take advantage of the online replacement card request, simply:

– Log in to your My social security online account

– Select the blue one Replacement documents link to the right

– Choose Request a replacement card

– Confirm your personal information that you are asked for and select Next

– Enter your personal information under the heading Identity verification

Your request will then be verified and processed and you should receive your new card within the next 14 business days.

The process requires one My social security account, which can easily be create an online if you know your social security number. This short video from SSA outlines how the system works and various features that should make it even easier to receive social security support.

Six states still do not allow online application for social security cards

The online system makes the process of requesting a new social security card much easier, but a small group of states have not yet offered the option to citizens. These states do not allow residents to request a new map online:

  • Alaska
  • Minnesota
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • Oklahoma
  • West Virginia

If you are a resident of these states, you will want a personalized service operated from your local social security officeswhich allows you to request a new card.

The same is true if your ID card or driver’s license is issued in a U.S. territory, such as U.S. Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.