Queen Elizabeth II tested positive for COVID-19 Sunday, which made some people consider the future of the royal family.
NBC News royal commentator Daisy McAndrew says the queen, who is experiencing “mild, cold-like symptoms”, according to Buckingham Palace, will continue to perform light duties for the foreseeable future, including receiving her red boxes, which she usually takes from the house of Commons.
They are “full of government documents that she needs to look into, some of which may need to give royal consent to new legislation,” McAndrew said Monday in TODAY, adding that she also wants to work from home without seeing anyone in person. , including a Wednesday meeting with Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
However, the long-term questions continue, especially considering that the Queen has endured a lot over the past year. Her husband, Prince Philip, died in April last year, Prince Harry had one rift involves his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Andrew settled a lawsuit on sexual abuse.
“You would be worried about anyone pushing the 96-year-old who was dealing with that level of strain,” McAndrew said.
McAndrew said the Queen will receive “the best treatment” when it comes to medicine. However, the future is still a bit unclear.
“But there is another situation where if the monarch is incapacitated, it may be about being abroad, but it may be about having an operation or being ill, then other high-ranking members of the royal family have to step in. and fulfill some of those laws. duties, “McAndrew said.
“The problem with that is that it’s usually the next four in line to the throne – (the princes) Charles, William, Andrew and Harry. Well, Harry is abroad, no longer a functioning royal. Andrews persona non grata, so there is a problem there. ”
Charles, 73, tested positive for COVID-19 for the second time earlier in the month. His wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, tested positive a couple of days later. The Queen’s health has also been a concern in recent months.
Last October, doctors told her to rest for two weeks and participate in light activities after she spent a night in the hospital. She was also informed of this stop drinking her beloved Dubonnet cocktail and put a stop to take long walks in Windsor Great Park.
That same month, she was discovered go with a stick for the first time since she underwent knee surgery in 2003.
“When you reach 95, it’s not quite as easy as it used to be,” Charles said told Sky News November last year, before joking: “It’s bad enough at 73.”
McAndrew says the palace is doing what it can to be honest about the queen.
“At least when it comes to the Queen’s own health, the palace has a difficult line to tread, and I think it stumbled across that line at the end of last year, when it kept saying, ‘Everything is alright. Nothing to see. The queen has just been advised to take it easy. ‘”
After a newspaper revealed that the queen had spent a night in the hospital, McAndrew said some of the trust may have been lost, but it is working to win it back.
“I think the palace was keen to be back on the front foot this time, to be seen to give us as much information as they could, without revealing too many really personal details,” she said.
“So last week they said the queen showed no symptoms. They neither confirmed nor denied that she had been tested positive, but yesterday morning when she was tested positive, they said she was tested positive yesterday. With “other words that were tried to reassure that she has not had it for a few days. She has only just tested positive.”